RFI

Re: [RFI] RF quiet wired routers

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF quiet wired routers
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:24:18 -0800
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:14:30 -0600, Gene - N0DQS wrote:

>I discovered that it is a bad CAT5 cable or should I say poor,
>cheap or something like that. Unplug that cable and the birdies
>disappear.

Not a bad cable, a bad router. The cable is acting like a long wire
antenna because the router has lousy common mode isolation on the
output that the cable is connected to.

The simple ferrite chokes described in my RFI tutorial will knock
those birdies down a lot by adding a high common mode impedance in
series with the antenna (the Ethernet cable).

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC