RFI

[RFI] Honda RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com, xxw0qe@comcast.net, mathenyr@marietta.edu,W8DRZ@aol.com, ac8e@zoominternet.net
Subject: [RFI] Honda RFI
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:58:14 EST
Last August I bought a new 2007 Honda Fit.  While the ignition noise  seemed
reasonable, especially after adding a few easily done exhaust pipe  grounds,
there remained a mysterious broadband noise noticeable on all bands at  least
through 2 meters. It is worst on 15 meters where it was S9 on a HamStick.  It
had an odd pattern of being on most, but not all, of the time, and not when
moving.

Today I had the Eureka moment, and have determined it is the Electric Power
Steering (EPS). In particular, it begins immediately upon any movement of the
steering wheel, and continues for about 2 seconds after the last movement.
Hence, no noise when parked.  Driving down a straight road with hands off  the
wheel, it remains quiet until I move the wheel.

Do any Honda owners with models equipped with EPS also experience this
noise?  I am curious if it is a problem extending beyond the Fit. A brief  test
in
a new Accord at the local dealer was inconclusive, in part because there  was
a lot of other RFI in the lot where we tested it. I plan to contact Honda's
1-800 customer service number in a few days (the local service people, and a
regional customer relations person were very unhelpful once we determined that
another Fit had the same problem). The problem in my Fit is also noticeable
in  the FM broadcast reception on weaker stations, so it may be of interest (I
hope)  to Honda on that basis.

Note that it requires an AM detector (or product detector) to  observe this
noise.  A VHF FM radio is not likely to hear it.

When the weather warms up I plan to remove the EPS fuse (a 50  amp, screw
down type) for a some low speed experiments in an open parking  lot.  Would
disabling the EPS likely be a safety issue, at least for  open highway driving?

73   -   Jim    K8MR