RFI

Re: [RFI] TV RFI

To: "Tom McDermott" <tom.mcdermott4@yahoo.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] TV RFI
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:26:53 -0500
Reminds me of the old days when our neighborhood didn't have cable or
satellite as an option for TV.

I lived in a row house, 16ft wide.  No city restrictions os I had a 15ft
tower with a 2 el tri-band quad.  Several feet away was a small VHF antenna
that fed the TVs in the house. After operating on 20m with a KW one
afternoon the wife informed me the reception on the TV had become
degraded...I thought perhaps the antenna connection had gone bad.  When I
checked it the little four to one balun used to convert 300ohm to 75ohn coax
apparently had heated up like a toaster element and melted through the
casing. I replaced it with a homebrew balun made from 75ohm coax.  Never had
any other issues.  The problem was due to proximity of the ham antenna and
the TV antenna...pure overload.

I suspect that is part of the problem you're having.  Moving your antenna
and reducing power further may be a faster fix than trying to sheild the TV
appliance from the inflow of unwanted RF through all the various and
numerous paths the HF RF is likely to take.

The RF could be coming in through the phone line drop and coupling to the AC
wiring before it reaches the TV...the possibilities are almost endless.
Trying to solve the problem at the end user side of the scenario could
become another almost full-time hobby.

Good Luck,
dave
wa3gin