RFI

[RFI] Roomba RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Roomba RFI
From: "Leigh L Klotz, Jr." <Leigh@WA5ZNU.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:06:30 -0800
This is for the archives.

I tracked down a new noise in my house to a Roomba vacuum cleaner
charger.  It was a periodic buzz/click about once per second, presumably
when the micro in either the Roomba or the charger wakes up to sample
the NiMH voltage.

The noise affected a low dipole but not other antennas further away.

I located it by the circuit-breaker test (off one at a time).

I eliminated the noise by putting 10 turns of the AC power cord on a 2.4
inch diameter toroid I bought a while back.

I did not put anything on the DC side of the power brick.

73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU