RFI

Re: [RFI] Evils

To: "rick darwicki" <n6pe@yahoo.com>, <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Evils
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:19:07 -0600
It appears that a lot of people missed the point in all this.

Original poster posited:

> > So why do so many devices like VCR heads, TV color
> > ocsillators etc and the old TV IFs fall in ham bands?
> >
> > Was this a commie plot to kill ham radio?

Had 'they' wanted to kill off HR 'they' would have
stuck with the 21 MHz freq, but, such has not been
the case (witness the 'move' to 41.25/45.75 MHz).

The choice of 21 MHz was probably 'opportunistic' at
the time, and the choice of something higher (like 41 MHz)
later on had benefits including image rejection (esp. when
tunig the UHF CHs) and the ability to obtain a flatter frequency
response (necessary for good fidelity while amplifying
'luminance' and 'chrominance' info while still at an IF frequency
and before detection) across the smaller percentage bandwidth
(of 45 MHz vs 21 MHz) and requiring fewer stagger-
tuned IF transformers than at 21 MHz to achive that 4.5 MHz
(or so) BW.

The choice of 3.58  (3.579545 MHz for the purists) by
the National Television System Committee (NTSC) was a
compromise not the least of which was some to achieve
backward compatibility with monochrome television; there
are also certain integer relationships the 3.58 frequency
has with the vertical and horizontal sweeprates as well as
being the 'carrier' frequency for the DSB surpressed-carrier
color (chromonance) information; choosing 3.58 for the
chrominance information also put the 'color' information
within the IF bandwidth of the existing IF 'footprint'
and RF chansel width of the existing B&W broadcasting
channel allocations.

As sets have become smaller, there is far less radiation
from three-five-eight oscillators (one could usually hear
several in hte 80M band in the evenings in a residential
area)  and there is far less trash acroess the AM broadcast
through SW bands from the Hoizontal 'sweep' circuits
that used to utilize a catergory of vacuum tubes known
as a 'sweep' tube.

I think I mentioned in one e-mail that today there is a
far graeter predominance of 28.635 MHz 'cariers' emanating
from PCs and CRT computer monitors than 3.58 nowadays;
one can hear a great many of these carriers in residential
areas on a 10 M radio.

Jim P  // WB5WPA //