RFI

[RFI] RFI Frustration

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI Frustration
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:26:15 -0800
     I just went through a similar problem here. A neighbor 1/2 mile away let
me come in their house with a small BCB radio. We ended up having to flip all
the breakers only because I did not ask ALL the questions. I asked about every
thing but touch lamps. As it turned out they had a very beautiful China hutch
that had a a touch light activated by touching a hinge on a door. I had never
heard of one of these before. It was noisy on or off. This was the worst
interference generator I have ever encountered barring failed lightning
arraestors on a pole. ON 160 meters the noise followed the power lines 1/2 mile
right to my RX antennas. It brought my noise floor up about 2 s-units on any
antenna near the power line. Dont forget to ask about air purifiers and Touch
lamps.
 Lee  K7TJR Oregon