RFI

Re: [RFI] Digital TV Problems

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Digital TV Problems
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 19:27:50 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Dwight,

The services that send video over telephone lines will be ADSL and VDSL.  VDSL
uses the HF spectrum, though it does not interfere with HF as much as BPL due
to the better balance and closer spacing of telephone wires.  ADSL uses the LF
and MF spectrum from 100 KHz through 1.1 MHz (perhaps higher for newer versions
than the ones I worked with years ago).  It is easy to overload the front-ends
of the "modems" used with these systems, and loss of framing will result in
interesting effects on digital services.

You may be able to find an ADSL filter ofered for sale at various places.  I
don't know about VDSL.  However, when I was working with ADSL some years ago, I
found that common-mode noise coming into a modem through the AC power was a
problem, sometimes a serious one and I was able to do some good by opening the
modem safety ground  with a 3-prong to 2-prong AC adaptor. This is often
inadvisable for safety reasons but a filter or ferrites effective at HF may
work.

Good luck!

Cortland
KA5S