RFI

Re: [RFI] BrightHouse & RFI?

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BrightHouse & RFI?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 08:37:16 -0700
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:30:18 -0600, Tim Groat wrote:

>It also means there's no minor cases of TVI:
>either you have no TVI, or an irate neighbor.

Again, we slip into the trap of viewing TVI as interference with the
RF signal. In today's world, that rarely happens.

Instead, RF either couples directly into poorly shielded equipment,
or excites pin 1 problems in audio systems to interfere with the
sound. Another VERY common coupling mechanism is loudspeaker wiring
acting as a receiving antenna, then coupling RF to the power output
stage, where feedback couples it to the input, where it is detected
and amplified.

In my experience, RFI to the audio system is now FAR more prevalent
than interference with TV reception. YMMV

73,

Jim Brown K9YC