RFI

Re: [RFI] 20M Heterodyne

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 20M Heterodyne
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:39:59 -0700
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:00:20 -0400, David C. Hallam wrote:

>Jim,

>Yes I hear it around 14.030.  The next spot I really hear it is at 14.152.

>My Ethernet system has been in place for several years and it's only in the
>last couple of weeks that I have been hearing the heterodyne.  I wonder if
>changing from a HF6V vertical to a end fed Zepp antenna has anything to do
>with it.

Probably so. It's a simple matter of coupling from one antenna to another
(that is, the Ethernet cable is an antenna), and the proximity and directional
patterns of each antenna have a strong effect on what you'll hear and at what
strength.

>I made the change at about the same time I started hearing the
>noise.  I am in the process of moving my vertical and put up the Zepp as a
>temporary antenna.

I'd go ahead and suppress the Ethernet wiring. You should should be able to
knock it down by at least 20 dB. Now, you may ALSO hear your neighbors'
systems too, depending on proximity, their wiring, and your antenna. I did
when I lived in Chicago, where I had a tenant downstairs and houses 25 feet
either side of mine and four more within 100 ft.

73,

Jim K9YC