RFI

Re: [RFI] [TVI-RFI-EMI] Noise every 15Khz on 17M

To: RFI <rfi@contesting.com>, W9RPM <john@w9rpm.com>, "Lefczik, Larry D" <larry.d.lefczik@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [TVI-RFI-EMI] Noise every 15Khz on 17M
From: WX5L <wx5l@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:51:31 -0400
John,

The dead give-away is the frequency seperation of 15 khz. You are hearing the
horizonal sweep noise produced by a television(15.75 khz) in your close
proximity.
Often this sweep noise will couple with the cable and/or the electrical line
and radiate outbound. It depends on the manufacturer on the severity of the
problem. It could also be a poor cable connection aggravating this situation.

 If the connections are good there's not much you can do about it but try and
choke the cable or electrical line with feritte core's. I have used mixture 77
with some success but it's hard to remove all traces of this wideband harmonic
of 15.75 khz produced by the TV.

With a portable shortwave receiver preferably with a SSB detector so it can
most resemble what you are hearing on your HF you need to hunt this TV down by
walking the street. Once you've focused down to a few houses then walk up to
the cable entrance or meter pan for closer inspection. You may need to collaspe
the telescoping antenna to detune the antenna as now this noise will be loud.

Once you've found the offending TV convincing the owner will be another
challenging which may be more difficult than finding it.

Good Luck,
Randy
WX5L
--