RFI

[RFI] Powerline Bandwidth Characteristics

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Powerline Bandwidth Characteristics
From: "G. White" <radiotrade@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 07:39:43 -0400
Hope you can help:

In trying to resolve several different interfering sources, I am wondering
about how to best identify powerline noise vs other types.

I always believed Powerline noise to be be very wide band, sounding similar
throughout most of the HF band. Or at least, several bands. Is this correct?

I seem to get confused when I hear powerline type noise, but only at  certain
frequencies- and at differnt bandwidths... anywhere from a 5 -100KHz bandwidth,
for example. So is it possible that the nature of the arcing, flashover or
corona is resonating within specific bands and/or at specific frequencies - or
is that highly unlikely?

I have often re-evaluated my long time belief that :"if its powerline noise,
its has to cover the entire HF band"

thanks and looking forward to your repy

Greg