RFI

Re: [RFI] You think YOU have RFI problems? ;-)

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] You think YOU have RFI problems? ;-)
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:46:58 -0500
Hi Jim!

Sounds like what I ran into on a troubleshooting trip where the telco pad
was right at the edge of an AMBC antenna's radial field.  Even GR-1089
couldn't handle that environment.  A similar situation existed in Passaic,
NJ, where homes have been built around an AM station's antenna.   They
didn't really complain, though, until the station abandoned an
easy-listening music format for Korean language evangelism. Heh!

Of course this is the reverse of what we are talking about WRT Green Bank.
More similar, when the USAF upgraded Pave Paws (sounds like maybe
retroantenna operation, FWIW) 440 MHz repeaters that had been in the noise
floor suddenly had to be turned down to 5W ERP.

Cortland
KA5S

WV,
> and lived there when Green Bank was built (not nearby, at the other end
of
> the state). At that time, Green Bank was in the middle of nowhere, and
was ...

> I have a great photo in one of my EMC power point presentations (for
audio
> guys) of a big Greek Orthodox Church built on land that immediately
borders
> the radial field of WJJD, a 50 kW 4-tower directional on 1160 kHz. I
would ...