RFI

Re: [RFI] Car Advice

To: doc@kd4e.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Car Advice
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:10:00 -0700
There is NO chance that any amateur radio transmitter in a vehicle would
trip the air bags.  They and the anti-lock brakes are at the top of the
testing requirements for car manufacturers.  The requirements were
something like more than 150V/m over the HF and VHF range which means
you can drive right up to a 100kW FM or TV transmitter and be fine.
Unfortunately things like fans, windows, and even engine management do
not have to meet the same requirements.  I believe Ford had 5
classifications and only things which were likely to kill someone made
it into the top class.  The stuff at the bottom only needed to not
interfere with the AM/FM radio in the vehicle. :)  Not sure if all the
manufacturers met the same requirements but they all don't like
litigation where death is involved.

73, Larry W0QE