RFI

Re: [RFI] A RF Quiet Electric Fencer needed

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] A RF Quiet Electric Fencer needed
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:24:20 -0800
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:45:24 -0500 (EST), ROBERT MARCH wrote:

> wave shaping.

That's exactly right. The relative strength of higher order
harmonics (that's us) is directly proportional to the rise time.

I don't know anything about electric fence circuitry, but if the
major concern is strength of those harmonics in the ham bands, it
seems to me that a ferrite choke wound so that it is tuned to those
ham bands would do the job. That's because a ferrite choke near its
resonance is highly resistive, NOT inductive. It's only inductive
well below resonance.

On the other hand, the best broadband ferrite chokes yield
resistance values in the 5K - 10K ohm range. Depending on the
impedance of the circuit that's producing the current that's doing
the radiating, that may not be enough resistance. For example, the
radiation could be from the fence wire, or it could be from an
internal current loop in the electronics package.

Tree -- where in the circuit did you put your choke?

73,

Jim K9YC