RFI

Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: nv8a@att.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:32:08 EST
Alan,

LEDs clearly are the way to go, longer life than CFLs, less heat, no
start-up latency.

I cannot vouch for the quality, but there are quite a number of LED light
bulbs available for sale on eBay.  You get a better deal if you buy in
quantity, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has bought from  eBay.

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:17:51 A.M. Central Standard Time,
nv8a@att.net writes:

On  11/12/08 01:55 pm George Gorsline VE3YV wrote:

> FWIW - I have CFLs  throughout the house and also at the cottage.  No
> issues with  RFI, but as noted cold start in the winter (before the wood
> stove  heats the cottage up) will give you slow firing and gradual
> increase  to normal brightness.  They're getting nicer now that warmer
>  temperatures (colours) are available.  Early purchases didn't have  good
> life - lots of premature failures.  Note that the fine print  says that
> they aren't to be installed in enclosed ceiling fixtures -  where most of
> my failures have been.  Surprising given much lower  heat buildup versus
> incandescent.  Would prefer to use LEDs when  the price comes down as
> while CFLs have lower energy consumption, they  create a mercury disposal
> problem.
> LED Christmas lights seem  to be RF quiet - at least relative to the
> existing noise floor of  downtown living.  And in Toronto, the hydro
> (power) company gives  them away free every year - one string for every
> two of the old style  turned in.  The one LED RFI problem I've observed
> is probably a  crummy power supply design in flashing "DON'T WALK"
> countdown LED  displays at some intersections in the downtown core.

Some of our CFLs  have not lasted very long, and they do take a little
while to achieve full  brightness.

Yesterday at Sam's Club I picked up a two-pack of  45-watt-equivalent LED
bulbs with a power consumption of 3.5 watts. These  are intended for
track lighting and recessed downlights. There is no  delay, they seem
brighter (certainly whiter) than the 50-watt  incandescents they
replaced, and so far I have detected no  RFI.

Alan  NV8A

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)