RFI

Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: John Brosnahan -- W0UN <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:13:42 -0600
At 09-01-09 11:17, you wrote:
>On 11/12/08 01:55 pm George Gorsline VE3YV wrote:
>
> > FWIW - I have CFLs throughout the house and also at the cottage.  No
> > issues with RFI, but as noted cold start in the winter (before the wood
> > stove heats the cottage up) will give you slow firing and gradual
> > increase to normal brightness.  They're getting nicer now that warmer
> > temperatures (colours) are available.  Early purchases didn't have good
> > life - lots of premature failures.  Note that the fine print says that
> > they aren't to be installed in enclosed ceiling fixtures - where most of
> > my failures have been.  Surprising given much lower heat buildup versus
> > incandescent.  Would prefer to use LEDs when the price comes down as
> > while CFLs have lower energy consumption, they create a mercury disposal
> > problem.
> > LED Christmas lights seem to be RF quiet - at least relative to the
> > existing noise floor of downtown living.  And in Toronto, the hydro
> > (power) company gives them away free every year - one string for every
> > two of the old style turned in.  The one LED RFI problem I've observed
> > is probably a crummy power supply design in flashing "DON'T WALK"
> > countdown LED displays at some intersections in the downtown core.
>
>Some of our CFLs have not lasted very long, and they do take a little
>while to achieve full brightness.
>
>Yesterday at Sam's Club I picked up a two-pack of 45-watt-equivalent LED
>bulbs with a power consumption of 3.5 watts. These are intended for
>track lighting and recessed downlights. There is no delay, they seem
>brighter (certainly whiter) than the 50-watt incandescents they
>replaced, and so far I have detected no RFI.
>
>Alan NV8A

Alan--

I just posted my note about the RFI warning on the Sam's Clubs LEDs
before seeing your note.  I wonder what the differences are in these
lights since the ones I saw were 40 watt rather than 45 watt and were
in a 3-pack rather than a 2-pack.

Almost wish I would have spent the money to see if the RFI warning
was "real" or just a CYA for the legal dept.

The bulbs I saw were "Lights of America" brand, BTW.

--John  W0UN