RFI

[RFI] Alternative Power Source Questions

To: "RFI e-Group" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Alternative Power Source Questions
From: "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:45:03 -0500
Questions for those in the know on alternative power sources.

Our local Amateur Radio Club is having a guest speaker come in from the
following company:

http://www.sunvoltssolar.com/

>From something I remember reading on this reflector, 'RFI' generated from a
wind generator may have cause one of our fellow Amateur Radio Ops to go QRT.
Also, from a friend of mine who once dabbled with battery storage and
invertors of an earlier day, he once told me the DC to AC inverters were so
bad that AM radio was out of the question and their TV would show 'sparkles'
on weaker television signals caused from the invertors. So my questions are.

Have things improved with these type of devices from an earlier time, or can
a fellow still expect RFI generated problems?
Would I as a Radio Op on the HF bands wish to live near someone with such
off-the-grid equipment?

If anyone of you good people could ask our guest speaker about a RFI problem
with alternative source power, what would it be?

Please, my questions are aimed at potential RFI problems only, not if it is
practical to do purchase such solar/wind equipment.

Many thanks,
Eric - VE3GSI