RFI

Re: [RFI] DSL interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] DSL interference
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:21:38 -0500
On Feb 19, 2009, at 5:08 PM, Martin Ewing wrote:

> Actually, it occurs to me that you could move your telco entrance
> back to
> its original location, split out the DSL there, and bring the two
> lines
> separately to surge suppressors at your SPG in the "hot" area,
> shielding the
> DSL line as much as possible.

Yes, that's pretty much the general direction I'm hoping to convince
the telco guy to move in, given that everything else I've tried so far
hasn't quite made the grade.  Unfortunately, we've been "enjoying" 40
mph winds and blinding snow for the past 30 hours or so, and neither
the telco guy nor I have had much stomach for tackling that kind of
project right now!

I didn't mention a couple of things in my first posting.  (rfman45,
W2LO in TN, is going to love this story about his favorite telco....)
We live on an inland lake, and we get our telephone service via
underwater lines from the other side of the lake.  My service comes up
out of the water to a telco pedestal in my next door neighbor's yard,
then loops from the terminal block in the pedestal back into the water
and comes up out of the water again near my boathouse and goes about
25 or 30 feet to the corner of the _old_ part of my dwelling where the
NID used to be located.  Since the boathouse is that much farther from
the vertical, and since it's sheltered and has power, and since it's
essentially one story below my first floor, shielded from direct line-
of-sight to the 160 tower by the embankment it's cut into, I'm
thinking a _wonderful_ place for a NID and the DSL modem to be located
would be inside the boathouse, at deck planking level.  I just have to
work a little harder to convince the telco guy that a good ground rod
there, rather than the AC service entrance ground he prefers, will be
sufficient.

At this point, I'm almost willing to trade the lightning
susceptibility of a fax machine or cordless telephone base station
every three or four years for peace in the family.

Bud, W2RU