RFI

Re: [RFI] CFLs and UV myth

To: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and UV myth
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:40:19 -0500

Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
> A good article that explains the issues with the study is at:
>
> http://www.arrl.org/rfsafety/lapin/2000/04/18/1/
>
> The ARRL web page on RF safety, http://www.arrl.org/rfsafety, has some
> good information on the subject.
>
> The most interesting point is that in the study, although a slight
> increased risk of two forms of cancer was seen, the average age of death
> of the Amateurs was about 10 years greater than the median age of death
> in the US.

If you take the likely hood of any individual getting these cancers,
then add 10 years to the average life time you automatically increase
the likely hood  for those individuals  of  getting quite a few diseases
including cancer. Could perchance this slight increase for these two
forms of cancer comes from living about 12.5% longer than the general
population expectancy?

OTOH thinks like Asbestos have been shown to cause cancer in humans and
one that is easily identifiable.

OTOH I realize Mercury is a poison, but when I see all the clean up
procedures I then remember when I was a teenager I had two pint bottles
of the stuff.

73

Roger (K8RI)