RFI

Re: [RFI] 20 Meter Noise Level

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 20 Meter Noise Level
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:41:40 -0800
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:56:37 -0400, David C. Hallam wrote:

>Is it possible that my high noise level on 20M is related to my TV.  I
>have an older Mitsubishi big screen projection TV in the living room.

Sure -- you just proved it!

> any ideas how to tame it?

Well, you already found one -- turn it off. :)  There are two ways the
noise is escaping from the TV. 1) The wires connected to it are acting as
antennas and radiating it. 2) The wires inside the set are radiating it
because it is badly shielded.

#1 can be fixed with ferrite chokes. You MUST use multi-turn chokes.
Beads without turns won't do a thing. All of the wires are possible noise
antennas -- the power cord, the coax from your cable TV box or antenna,
audio cables, cables to a VCR.  See

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf for lots of detailed advice.

#2 is fixed by turning it off.

73,