RFI

Re: [RFI] 40m (and other) noise

To: Sam Morgan <ka5oai@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 40m (and other) noise
From: Ash Thornton <thorntonash@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:47:23 -0400
I have had similar problems for the past several years.

One noise is very broad, 80M through 40M, a S3-5 with a 500Hz
filter. It is usually from the south and comes and goes on a schedule
which makes me think it could be a TV. I have not been able to pin it
down with an IC-R20 walking around the area. On occasion I get it
from different directions, again could be a TV? I am in the process
of building a small loop and if that does not help the IC-R20 I'll
walk around with a K3 and battery, Hi.

I also hear a similar signal, stronger and it appears to roll down
the band following the S meter peak signal.

I usuall use 80 or 40 4-Squares, but also a problem with a
dipole,maybe not quite as bad.

The first signal plays havoc with weak CW signals, but taking out the
preamp helps, but otherwise no way to combat it.

Sometimes it sounds like a carrier in AM, other times it is a buzzing
noise.

I'll post anything I can determine.

Thorny
W1FQ