RFI

Re: [RFI] Coaxial Choke

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Coaxial Choke
From: Sam Morgan <ka5oai@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:53:16 -0500
Tree wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 05:18:55PM -0500, Sam Morgan wrote:
>
>> Does the common coaxial choke do the same thing as the high dollar ones?
>> Particularly if you are only running 100w? (160m-10m)
>> I forget the length now, but it's in the handbooks,
>> just looked 10 foot of RG-8, 58, 59, 8X, 213 in a 7 turn loop.
>
> Depends on the frequency you are dealing with.  You need probably more
> turns for lower frequencies (like 160-40 meters).
>
> Tree N6TR

from the 2008 handbook

Table 21.4
Effective Choke (Current Baluns)
Wind the indicated length of coaxial feed line into a coil (like a coil of
rope)
and secure with electrical tape. The balun is most effective when the coil is
near the antenna. Lengths are not critical.

Single Band (Very Effective)
Freq  RG-213,RG-8       RG-58
3.5   22 ft, 8 turns    20 ft, 6-8 turns
7     22 ft, 10 turns   15 ft, 6 turns
10    12 ft, 10 turns   10 ft, 7 turns
14    10 ft, 4 turns    8 ft, 8 turns
21    8 ft,  6-8 turns  6 ft, 8 turns