RFI

Re: [RFI] Garage door rfi noise on receive

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Garage door rfi noise on receive
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:06:26 -0500

In the years I've lived in this subdivision southeast of Houston, I've
tracked down four faulty doorbell transformers.  I've found the noise
sources to be as much as a mile and a half away from my house. You don't fix
a faulty doorbell transformer; it must be replaced.

When you tell the owners that by replacing the transformer, (1) they will
have removed a really, really big fire hazard (the RFI comes from internal
arcing within the transformer windings); and (2) they will now enjoy TV
viewing and listening without the interference--don't know what the noise
will do to digital TV, but I'm sure there must be an effect.

At one location, no one was home, so I told their neighbors on each side
what was happening.  They all had the interference on their TV's and radios.
When I told them how to fix it they said they'd certainly tell the owners
when they got home.  The RFI went away the next day.

Good luck,

Dale, kg5u