RFI

[RFI] Ignition Noise in 04 Vitara

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Ignition Noise in 04 Vitara
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:31:09 -0400
Getting my Vitara set up for HF, I've gone through some of the regular
items, like bonding, and ferrites, and now have a few questions about
mitigating the remaining issues.

1. I have some ignition noise I'd like to get rid of. The engine
doesn't have the old fashioned plug cables. There is a cover on top of
the valve covers that I assume has to be the place where the coil on
plug setup is.

My first question is, Is it possible to shield a whole side (it's a
V-6) by applying a metallic covering to that cover? Would aluminum or
copper be a better choice? I have a roll of adhesive backed aluminum,
but if copper is superior, I might just go for the better metal. I'll
be trying to shield it this way unless It is of no use.

If not, is there a good way to shield coil on plug setups?

2. Air conditioner noise. This isn't from the fan motor. It happens
only when the compressor is running. It isn't real bad, and I could
live with it, but I've assumed that the compressor  cycles by a
solenoid. I'd expect a click, but not continuous noise. It is an
almost musical ascending noise, quickly reaching it's highest
frequency, then staying there until the compressor cuts off. Any ideas?

3. Cruise control noise. This one is easy to fix, by not using it. But
I'd like to get rid of all the noise. The noise is kind of a "chit-
chit-chit-chit-chit" noise, a little like a fuel pump, but more
constant. It doesn't vary with speed, nor does it matter if the engine
is accelerating or decelerating or loping along at cruise speed.

Thoughts?

-73 de Mike N3LI -