RFI

Re: [RFI] CATV Upstream Interference

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CATV Upstream Interference
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:37:29 -0700
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 04:15:10 -0700 (PDT), Luciano Nachif wrote:

>Am I right when I say those few places where I hear the 29.207
>signals are the strongest ones so they actually are the leaking
>spots?

Yes. And the most likely cause is a bad connection of the coaxial
cable shield. These connectors are crimped onto the cable, and
it's easy to have a bad connection if the worker is careless, or
if the wrong crimp tool is used, or if the crimp connector does
not match the cable (each cable type requires a slightly different
connector based on small differences in cable diameters and shield
type).

BUT -- another common cause of leakage is an illegal connection
made in homes by someone who doesn't want to pay the cable
company.

Another tip for locating the leakage points -- take a VHF talkie
and look for the trash next to the cable. Before you start
walking, listen to the cable on the talkie and tune in some
signals that you know are coming from the cable. Then put the
cable back together and listen for that signal next to a cable
splice that you suspect may be bad.

In general, the higher in frequency that you are able to chase a
broadband radiated source, the closer you will be able to "home
in" on it.

There are a few guys on email lists that I read (maybe this one)
who have recent experience with CATV, and may have more advice for
you.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC