RFI

[RFI] RFI suppression in alarm system

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI suppression in alarm system
From: W5OT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:25:52 EDT

Monitored Burglar/Fire Alarm System RFI  Solved

Most monitored systems have two keypads which are hard  wired to the
central alarm unit.  The keypads are active, even when the system is in standby
status.  I was experiencing ‘beeping” from the  keypads when transmitting on
both the 160 and 80 meter bands.  RFI was not a problem at higher
frequencies, probably because the filtering  built-in to the alarm unit was
adequate..

I tried several remedies including clamp-on toroids,  bypass capacitors,
and single chokes which failed to prevent the RFI.   The RF chokes installed
on the  keypad terminals at the central alarm unit seemed to offer the most
promise, but  they only protected one band or the other.  I did some
impedance measurement on the chokes using the Autek RF-1  Analyst and found
that
using a large value choke in series with a smaller value  choke exhibited a
broadband high impedance range, sufficient to cover the  frequencies of
interest.  This did  solve the RFI problem.

The chokes I used were Fastron series 23 with values of  680 microHenries
in series with 47 microHenries. They are each about the size of  a ½ watt
resistor.

 A  “rule-of-thumb’ says that impedance of 1000 ohms or higher will
usually provide  good RFI suppression.  Below is a  table of impedance
measurements across the 160, 80, and 40 meter  bands.

Frequency, mHz           Impedance, ohms
1.5                                                              >2000
2.0                                                              >2000
2.5                                                              1860
3.0                                                              1520
3.5                                                              1370
4.0                                                              1196
7.0                                                              1462
7.5                                                              1250

Thus, high impedance is maintained over the frequencies  of interest and
overall resistance was increased by about 8 ohms which did not  affect the
operation of the keypads.  It is felt that combinations of chokes in series can
be an effective way  of suppressing RFI in low current circuits where RFI
is being experienced on  several frequencies.

Hope you find this info helpful.
73 de John,  K5SEE