RFI

Re: [RFI] 160m-5mhz noise?

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 160m-5mhz noise?
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:23:26 -0500
On 11/8/2009 Paul Christensen wrote:

>> Just to say that switch mode supplies CAN be made to be as RF quiet as any
>> linear supply.

> While a switch-mode supply can be made as quiet as a linear supply,
> oftentimes they are not.   The quality power supply brands are generally not
> a problem.  The problem more often is from an Asian import "brand "X"
> supply.

Paul,
I'll agree totally, it's just that "we" as hams usually tar all "switch-mode
supplies" with a broad brush, and if we want to try and stop this, I thing we
need to say "poorly made switch mode supplies", particularly when we complain,
as switch-mode supplies are NOT going to go away, simply because of efficiency
reasons.  It's that it doesn't make us look like backwards anti-tech Luddites
(whcih, with insistence of things like CW, and complaining about 'rural broad
band' (aka BPL - but lets look at it how non hams look at it for a minute), we
tend to look like

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!