RFI

[RFI] 20M Hash

To: "RFI - Contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 20M Hash
From: w4lde <w4lde@numail.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:17:49 -0500
John,

After reading your message below it brought back memories of exactly the same
thing happening to me in the fall of 2008.

One morning in Step 08 I turned on the rig and bang there was hash all over 20M
as high as S-9.  The only thing I could use that band for was JT65 and a few
other digital modes.

What I started doing was logging the time and signal strength of the noise and
also checking other bands, did it every day looking for a pattern, 80M was a
S-4 to 5 40M was a S-5 to 7 and 15M and up wasn't to bad.  20M was the band
most hurt by the noise.

At first I suspected the power company, I took my hand held and a 440 3 element
and off I went, boy did I find noise all up and down the power lines and one
pole in question produced lots of noise.

To my surprise the power co had three (3) trucks to my house within a day of my
call.  My spirits went up since now the problem would be fixed.  Unfortunately
there equipment to find the noise wasn't better than mine and at one time asked
if they could use mine, they were really trying to find the problem.  They did
go out and check about six (6) poles using their bucket trucks, and yes they
indeed did go up and down checking the connections, but they indicated that
they could not find anything wrong and threw their hands up at this one and
wished me good luck.

Since there is no homes within 1000ft of me I started checking everything in my
house one breaker at a time with no luck.  Then I started house hunting up to
1/2 mile away looking for a noise source, again no luck.

After about 3 months of this problem is when I started to log some intermittent
noise activity.  One day it completely disappeared.  Then it was back, but
still I saw intermittent activity like there was a lose connection somewhere.
I was still thinking power!

Thats when thing started to change after 3-months of this noise, it was gone.
The XYL on the way home said that there was a TV cable truck out on one of the
poles I had suspected.  No I thought it can't be from a TV cable can it?  Well
I am now convinced it was noise from the overhead cable (TV-internet) main
lines.

One day I saw the cable guys out working on the lines and I ran to the rig and
sure enough the hash was back, then gone, then back so I jumped into my car and
off I went to were they were working.  Talked to the supervisor he did indicate
that they had problems with line amplifiers and they were replacing them plus
were going to run about a 1/2 mile of new cable hanging from the power poles.
Another Tech made the statement that the internet phone service operated a two
different frequencies, 24Mz and a very high one which I can't remember.
Broadband amplifiers emmmm, were do they start to work?

Anyway after they did run the new cable and replaced some three line
amplifier's the noise is gone and it now 12 months later.  My typical noise
level on 20 is S-0, 80M S-2 to 4 evenings and on 40M its S-0 to 1 in the
mornings and S-1 to 3 in the evenings.
Moral of this story is don't rule out anything.

Don't give up hope, start looking yourself using your AM car radio, then your
FM and a VHF hand held tuned to 133Mhz and then 300Mhz, scan your neighbors
homes, maybe a new plasma TV set for XMAS, battery charger, bad door bell
transformer.  Also check you transformers supplied with your cable box
converters and Internet router.  I had one transformer that produced S-6 noise
when I connected it to the shack power, brand new N wireless router, had
another transformer in the junk box and noise disappeared.  Check your home one
breaker at a time.  If indeed you suspect the power system ask for help from
the Service manager, when I did I pointed to the possibility of saving dollars
on their end and that help get their attention.

I can only offer encouragement at this time but you will prevail.

Have a very happy holiday season and let us all know how things are going.

73 de
Ron W4LDE

Message: 1