RFI

Re: [RFI] Power line noise && RE: I will have you arrested

To: <doc@kd4e.com>, <garnerj@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power line noise && RE: I will have you arrested
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:49:06 -0500
In Virginia we have the Public Service Commission.  The PSC regulates the
power companies operations in the State.

I had a bad pole insulator or two in my neighborhood several years ago.  I
heard that Dominion Power had a two man team that handled RFI issues but it
was suggested I file a complaint with the PSC.  I called the PSC and they
took the complaint over the phone.  That was a late Monday afternoon.
Tuesday morning my wife called me to the kitchen window to see what was
going on in the park behind our home.  There were four Dominion Power
Company trucks in the alley.  As we watched the door bell rang.  At the door
was the Dominion Power RFI guy with his portable receiver. He wanted to
listen to the RFI on my radio and compare it to what he was hearing...long
story short they found two failed insulators (one of which still sits on my
radio rack as a display) and several loose connections.  By mid-afternoon
the RFI was gone.  It should be noted that this crew was dispatched from
Richmond, 100 miles south of my location.

Perhaps service like this is a fluke but I have to say not all power
companies are created equal.  You mileage may vary but do try talking to
your Public Utility Bureau as an option.  It can't hurt.

73,
dave
wa3gin

p.s. the tech license materials are so close to the general class that you
might as well go for the general right out of the gate!