RFI

Re: [RFI] I will have the CEO of my electric utility arrested(Was:Re:I w

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] I will have the CEO of my electric utility arrested(Was:Re:I will have you arrested)
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:08:04 -0500
Having worked as a past director for a utility company, I have developed a
general dispute resolution and escalation process.  Of course, the order of
escalation is subject to the nature of the complaint.

Allow a reasonable amount of time between escalation steps and document all
correspondence, photos, names, titles, dates, and times.  If you have the
means to document the noise spectra, submit it in steps where escalation is
to a decision maker. Archive the data for later retrieval.

If your writing skills are weak, consider having your materials proofed by
someone with good communications.  All written communication must be
professionally organized in order to be taken seriously by the reader.

Note that I have placed the ARRL and the FCC toward the end of the
escalation.  Arguably, they could be included in earlier steps, but I've
found that resolution is typically faster when an attempt is first made to
keep third parties out of the dispute.

1) Try to validate the interference is generated from the utility company's
equipment and not another source;
2) If reasonably sure of a utility noise source, contact the utility
company's customer service department;
3) Contact a director or manager at the utility company and explain the
magnitude of the situation with specificity;
4) Write to the utility company's president and board of directors;
5) Contact the state PSC and inquire about a dispute resolution process;
6) Contact the state's PSC board members;
7 Contact the ARRL and the FCC's Laura Smith;
8) Utilize the services of an attorney and compel a duty to act under FCC
Rules;
9) Hire an RFI services company as a third-party investigator to work with
the attorney and the utility company.  Hopefully, the utility has already
contacted an RFI investigator on their own by the time this step is reached.
However, depending on the case, the attorney may be able to later file a
claim against the utility company to recover fees associated with the RFI
investigator if secured by the damaged party.

73,

Paul, W9AC

Allow ample time between events.