RFI

Re: [RFI] Snow and Power Lines

To: "'Missouri Guy'" <n0tt1@juno.com>, <Jimk8mr@aol.com>, <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Snow and Power Lines
From: "RFI Services' Mike Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:26:59 -0500
Most, but not all, noise sources on during the early stages of rain are
found to be lightning arrestor. These sources don't usually last long,
sometimes weeks, and the fail.
In few cases on 6 meters and below corona has caused this issue. The corona
is a very rare issue and only occurs when very close to the receiving
antenna. There is other factors needed for the corona. I'm sorry I don't
have the time for a thorough explanation, but you don't want to push the
corona issue unless you are 100% positive. Actually that is true for any
power line noise.

On another note: That was a great story from K3LR.

Mike Martin
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island Rd
Tracys Landing, Md 20779