RFI

[RFI] RFI affecting computer - help!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI affecting computer - help!
From: hankkier@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:07:41 -0500
I use Writelog for contesting on Dell computer, with a Icom Pro3 radio and
Microham interface for RTTY and CW. has been in place for about 5 years now
without change.

last month entered first serious RTTY contest, WPX RTTY, then a week later ARRL
CW. In each case I never went more than an hour, sometimes a lot less, without
my computer crapping out from, I believe, RFI. froze up completely, generally
halfway through an exchange being sent, without even releasing the xmit relay
from the radio. only thing I could do was turn off the power to the PC and
restart, and switch the radio over to SSB momentarily to kick the relay out.
each time cost me 3-5 minutes to get back to where I was, often a lost qso,  I
have occasionally experienced freezeups before, but never anything like this
past 2 weekends.

I can't think of anything I have done to the station, except I switched from a
regular mouse to a cordless variety.

I have toroids on each cable going into the computer, incl keyboard and AC
power line. the problem occurred when I was on both antennas (40-2CD and
C31XR), posssibly even on 80, don't remember for sure. wife also complaining
about constant interference with cable TV all weekend, and there are toroids on
those cables too.

question: is there some way to determine what is causing the RFI? where it is
coming from? so I can directly address it.

alternatively, what type (#) ferrite rods are recommended to try those on the
various cables leading to the computer (and TV)?

or some other solution!

Hank  KF2O