RFI

Re: [RFI] Lessons learned re computer RFI

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Lessons learned re computer RFI
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:42:07 -0500
Pete,

I suspect that the problem is the wide proliferation of IEC connector
suppliers out in the world.  While the INSIDE dimensions of the connector
need to be correct in order for the mating cord connector to fit, there is
not a lot to stop people from making the outer dimensions whatever they
want.  There might well be a "standard" size cutout for the IEC chassis
connector, but I have not seen one.  I have only seen cut out dimensions
for specific manufacturers.

The same problem befell me about a year ago.  The power supply in my Dell
desktop died and a friend of mine who is a real whiz at computer work
ordered a replacement (non-Dell) power supply for me.  He warned me about
fit of the connector and was right.  He did the job rather quickly with a
nibbling tool and file.

Thanks for the info.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Sent by: rfi-bounces@contesting.com
03/26/2010 04:10 PM
Please respond to
n4zr@contesting.com

RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
cc

Subject
[RFI] Lessons learned re computer RFI

I bought a Qualtek 857-06/48 from Mouser (common and differential mode),
figuring that it would fit in place of the filter-less IEC connector on
the power supply.  It didn't, so I took out my Dremel tool and spent a
half-hour enlarging the hole.  I don't know how you can foresee this, so
just be forewarned - the holes aren't standard.

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com