RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI into A/C condenser

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI into A/C condenser
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:10:53 -0700
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 23:55:28 -0500, rbaker wrote:

>I am being told that RFI con get back into a A/C condenser and cause
>it to malfunction---true??

I don't know anything about air conditioners, nor have I ever heard
anything about it, but the only RFI possibility that makes sense to me
would be to its control circuitry. Is this a new problem with a unit
that has worked for a long time, or a new unit that is having problems?
Is it a home window unit, or a larger one where the connections are
spread out?

Three possible means of RFI getting in -- via the power line, or pickup
on wiring between controller and compmressor, or due to lousy shielding
of the control circuitry. The power line could be fixed with a standard
RFI filter. Corcom and Delta are good brands, and are available from
the usual industrial electronics sources. One big enough to handle an
air conditioner won't be cheap. Internal wiring might be fixable with a
ferrite choke. There may also be power wiring problems in the air
conditioning system.

73,

Jim K9YC