RFI

[RFI] Does a power pole generating RFI always generate ultrasonics?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Does a power pole generating RFI always generate ultrasonics?
From: "Stu Phillips" <stu@ridgelift.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:46:12 -0600

I'm tracking a power pole near my QTH that is generating RFI from 15m on
up.  With a combination of HF and VHF antenna, I'm pretty sure I've
tracked to the correct pole.  This pole is generating more of a
"cracking/poping" form of RFI rather than a constant arc like RFI.

I recently built an Ultrasonic detector as an additional tool in my bag
- it seems to work as I can hear tire noise, rubbing fingers, rat
repeller etc...  BUT...

When I check out this pole, I can't hear anything ultrasonic wise.

So my question...

Does a power pole generating RFI ALWAYS generate ultrasonics that are
strong enough to be heard from the ground?

Thanks!

Stu K6TU