RFI

Re: [RFI] Am I hosed? RFI problems

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Am I hosed? RFI problems
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:20:45 -0400
One very useful tool is a software-defined receiver and the associated
spectrum display software.  for example, I was troubled with an audible
increase in the noise floor at the bottom end of 160.  The spectrum
scope showed a pattern with regular, broad peaks every 70 KHz or so.
Armed with that, I discovered a noisy computer power supply, added a
Corcom filter to the AC, and voila!

Re Kelly's problem, I've found that one of the best tactics with the
neighbors is to suggest that what is causing the interference could be a
fire hazard.  This has the advantage of even being true in many cases,
such as an arc in house wiring due to a loose connection.  Paul's right,
of course - being able to prove the source of the interference is
essential.  I have taken my 2-meter AM RX and 2-element Moxon around to
people's houses, and demonstrated that when I point it their way, the
noise goes off-scale.  I've also had fairly good luck, after
demonstrating this, in getting people to let me come inside to try to
localize the source.  But dodgy renter neighbors can be a different problem.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,