RFI

Re: [RFI] Ferrite bead disintegration

To: Randy Farmer <w8fn@tx.rr.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ferrite bead disintegration
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:37:38 -0500
Lightning will most certainly do that!  I had a strike that blew up
the beads on a 1:1 balun on my F12 Sigma 80. It also vaporized the
center conductor of the transmission line within the balun. If you
had a lightning hit, the beads would have experienced extremely rapid
heating internally. Chances are that's what shattered the beads .

Kim Elmore, N5OP