RFI

[RFI] GFCI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] GFCI
From: Phil Snyder <n9lah@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 09:03:18 -0500
  Well I had originally joined the reflector to get help dealing with
some power line interference but seem to have a different problem now. I
put an addition on the house including a new garage. Each wall of the
garage has it's own circuit which has a GFCI to protect it. I have
finally gotten to wiring the last wall. I find that the GFCI is tripped
occasionally. I have spent the last month trying to figure out why or
how it gets tripped. Apparently when I am transmitting on 30 meters the
outlet picks up that tx and sounds like an old railroad telegraph
sounder from a western. This wouldn't bother me too much except that the
addition was put on for my mother to live in and her head is about 5
feet from the outlet on the other side of the wall while she sleeps (no
she is not interested in learning code).

I have 2 other GFCI's in the garage and 2 more of the same units in the
addition of which none exhibit this problem. Do I have a bad GFCI? Is
the Romex running from the service panel to the outlet resonate on 30
meters? I could add a junction box and some extra wire to the circuit if
folks think that would help. Just looking for ideas before spending
dollars on things that don't work.

Thanks
Phil
N9LAH