RFI

Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL Bulbs that are OK!
From: Don Nelson <n0ye@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:02:03 -0700
> I'm looking forward to the maturing of LEDs that do not create RFI, give
> a full, or at least pleasing spectrum, and are not expensive.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

OK,

It appears to me that you take a pair of LEDs in parallel where one
anode is connected to the other's cathode and you put this pair in
series with a reactance that allows 20ma to flow when 120vac is applied
to the series circuit. The reactance I calculate is about 6000 ohms
which is a capacitor of about 0.5 uf in value for a 60 Hertz source. The
capacitor drops the voltage so that the LED has what it needs in forward
bias, and one diode will light on one half of the cycle and the other
will light on the other half of the cycle. Who needs a power supply
other than the series reactance and 120vac? Noise - what noise? Neither
diode is forced into avalanche mode and should produce very little noise
when forward biased.

Don, N0YE