RFI

Re: [RFI] Do we neglect problems and fix symptoms?

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Do we neglect problems and fix symptoms?
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:52:20 -0600
Jim, Roger, and All:

Jim and Roger have made excellent points in their respectuve postings.  I
would just like to add my comments regarding overall RFI issues with
commercial equipment:

I have spent the past 11 years working in military and aerospace EMI/EMC
design and test.  In my case, most of the emphasis was on equipment design
with the goal of passing the required EMC tests on the furst try.  That is
because mil spec testing (and even commercial aerospace testing to RTCA
DO-160 specs) is very expensive.  You must keep in mind that even the best
designs WILL have radiated emissions.  The issue is: at what level and in
which frequency ranges?  Because so much equipment is frequently jammed
together in aircraft cockpits or the radio ops areas of military vehicles
or base stations, the equipment must not interfere either with itself or
with other co-located equipment.  (If interference occurs between radio
systems because of antenna-to-antenna coupling, then costly co-location
filter networks may be required.  These are similar in concept to the
cavities used for repeater systems.)

Commercial gear for normal industrial and/or consumer use has no such
requirements imposed upon it.  From roughly 26 MHz on up, the radiated
emissions allowed by FCC Part 15, Class B equipmant will be on the order of
20 to 30 dB greater than allowed for military or commercial aerospace
applications.  That's a LOT of extra signal.  As has been stated on this
reflector many times in the past, most radiated emissions come from
connecting cables - be they power cords, Ethernet, discrete signal &
control, audio, or whatever.  Good equipment design will minimize those
emissions, but so will proper cable design and installation.  The postings
already made go into enough detail involving chokes, by-passing, shielding,
and so forth.

My point is that equipment design and cable treatment can only go so far in
reducing emissions that, in many instances, are basic to the product.  (A
high speed Ethernet cable WILL radiate harmonic energy - it's part of the
game.  The issue is to reduce the radiation as much as possible.)  One BIG
part of the EMC control triad that is overlooked all too often is:  what is
the separation distance between the offending source (which can be both a
piece of equipment AND all of the cabling associated with it) and the
victim?  In most cases, we regard the victim as being our radio receiver.
Now, think about it- is the victim the receiver or the antenna to which the
receiver is connected?  I think you will find that in all too many
instances, the real problem is that the antenna (or parts of it) are too
close to the offending source.

Here's some food for thought:  Mil spec EMC testing is done with a
measurement distance of 1 meter from the unit under test; FCC tests are
done at 3 meters from the unit under test, and the allowed limits are
higher, as well (for equivalent frequency ranges).  That difference alone
is good reason to make certain that you do not locate equipment that is
potentially an RFI source too close to your antennas.  Note that the
antennas might very well be outdoors and the equipment indoors, but unless
your house is built like a Faraday cage, having the end of your 80 meter
dipole located just over the roof above your shack might result significant
unwanted signal coupling.  The same thing can happen when routers or cable
boxes are located in attic areas or second stories of houses and there is a
40 foot tower adjacent to the house with a tri-band yagi and a couple of
inverted-Vs on it.  Sorry - you might lose the RFI battle on that one.

I agree with Jim's comments: if you must do something, do it to the cables
and interconnects.  If that is not enough, try getting more separation
distance between the source and your antennas.  It might not be easy, but
that's still better than trying to modify a piece of equipment that is
actually designed just fine (met its specs when tested), but you are trying
to make it work to a requirement that is more stringent than the design
specs intended.

There is one instance in which taking action against the equipment might be
practical: high noise power supplies, expecially wall warts.  I have
personally seen wall wart supplies (using switchmode technology) in which
there are parts missing from the pc card within.  You know the story: the
parts are all there for the required FCC or CE test, then the production
runs leave out those EMC-suppressing parts to save costs.  That's very
common with some 3rd party "no name" warts from the Far East.  Since you
probably can not get information as to just what the values of those
missing parts are, the most practical approach seems to be to find either a
linear power supply (bigger, heavier, less efficient) with the required
output, or a switcher that actually has all of the parts and does meet
specs.  Good luck.  I endorse Jim's "bucket treatment" for the offending
pieces of trash.

73 and Best New Year Wishes to everyone,

Dale, WA9ENA