RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI from Apple Airport Extreme

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from Apple Airport Extreme
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 01:50:24 -0500

On 12/30/2010 6:11 PM, doc@kd4e.com wrote:
> Different suggestion ... replace the noisy wall-warts with
> analog ac-dc power supplies.
>

>> I have 3 Airport Extremes, 2 of the second gen (2.4 or 5 Ghz,
>> 10/100Mbit ether, draft 802.11n) and 1 of the newest (2.4 and 5 Ghz,
>> 10/100/1000 ether, 802.11n).
>>

>> All three use the same power supply, and all three supplies are
>> noisy, dumping common mode noise out both the AC and device sides.
Most of the stuff in the shop that came with wall warts is connected to
the big 12V supply instead.
I do have a couple connected to the 40A switcher, but it's as quiet as a
field mouse.
Just be careful and make sure the wall wart is both DC and the voltage
you want. Not all are 12V and not all are DC.

73

Roger (K8RI)