RFI

Re: [RFI] ATT Uverse

Subject: Re: [RFI] ATT Uverse
From: Martin Ewing <martin.s.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:11:32 -0500
There are two very different flavors of U-Verse.  One is FTTH (fiber to the
home), like Verizon's FIOS, but MUCH more common is the FTTN (fiber to the
Neighborhood) version.  FTTN uses a "node" (called a VRAD) that looks like a
small refrigerator sitting somewhere along the roadside.  As Tom says, from
the node you have standard old telco wiring to the home, using VDSL2
signaling.  That's a very high speed version of the DSL they've been selling
for a long time for Internet service.  VDSL2 uses RF frequencies up to 8.5
MHz and lots of clever coding and interference rejection techniques.  It's a
miracle it works at all over 3500 ft wires, but it does, providing up to 50
Mb/s raw transmission. (I get 30 Mb/s at 2000 ft.)

When the wiring is well balanced and terminated, there is hope that
interference from RF ingress can be managed.  That's what I'm hoping for
now, but the outcome is in doubt.  It helps a lot to operate above 10 MHz
and to use only moderate power.

One thing you can do is to use heavily shielded RG-6 coax instead of Cat 5/6
cabling in the house.  We did that, and things improved a little, but it's
not good enough yet.

73 Martin AA6E

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM, K8TB <k8tb@bosscher.org> wrote:

>     Uverse is a copper fed very high speed dsl. The fiber comes in to a
> neighbor node box (rather noticeable). This is where the IP data is
> changed from fiber to copper. The reasonable length of copper from that
> fiber box to your house should not exceed 3500 feet more or less. Once
> the high speed dsl hits the house, it goes to what ATT calls a "RG", or
> residential gateway. This box has that long copper wire (essentially and
> meant to be balanced) input. There is a AC or DC power cable to the box,
> and then this box talks to the desktop units by wire, either and
> preferred, Cat5 wiring, or in some cases, ATT will install some baluns
> so that they can use your existing interior cable tv coax to send the IP
> data to and from the desktop units to and from the RG.
>     I have Uverse, but using only a dipole and 100 watts, I have never
> had a problem. I am using very high quality cat 5 wiring, including
> replacing the original wire from the house demark to the RG with cat 5.
> I had the entire house ready and waiting for the ATT tech.
>
>     I would like to know if the folks having the problems are using cat
> 5 wiring or those wretched baluns for the inside wiring.
>
>     tom bosscher k8tb
>

> On 1/11/2011 6:25 PM, K1TTT wrote:
> > What is the problem with uverse?

Martin S. Ewing, AA6E