RFI

[RFI] mystery noise

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] mystery noise
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:50:17 -0500
I have a small active vertical for my QS1R receiver, mounted on my
garage roof.  Using the QS1R's panadaptor display, I can see that I have
recurrent broad, strong noise sources every 54 KHz. When listened to on
CW with a wide (10 KHz) filter they sound like a rough CW signal, and
the waterfall shows definite pulsations.  I first noticed these on 160,
and searching with the QS1R they appear to be pretty much gone by 5
MHz.  I can provide a recording to anyone who wants one.

Does the description or the periodicity suggest a source that I can look
for?  It must be close, because my Beverage-on-Ground a couple of
hundred feet away shows no trace.  The antenna is near the fence with my
neighbors, so it would be helpful to know more or less wehat I'm looking
for before I go over there.

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com