RFI

Re: [RFI] Need help identifying RFI source

To: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Need help identifying RFI source
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:28:39 -0500
Kirk --

Given the region of the country where you live, and given the on/off cycle
intervals you've indicated, I'd be inclined to suspect the electronic circuitry
for the variable speed blower fan in the air handler of a newer, high
efficiency air conditioning system in someone's house to the SW of you.

What I don't know, however, is what happens with the A/C blower fan in a modern
heat pump system during cold weather.    (Thirty years ago, I had a heat pump
system that used auxiliary resistance coils to provide heat, and the air was
circulated somewhat differently in the winter than it was during the summer.)

Thus, given the season (it was -27 F here this morning!), I'm also inclined to
include among the list of suspects a controller for an electric blanket or
electric mattress pad.  Does it ever turn off for extended periods (such as
during the day)?

I'm told, but have no first-hand experience, that the new tankless, instant hot
water heaters really put out a racket, too.  Whether the cycle times you have
measured are consistent with those devices or not, I have no idea.

Bud, W2RU