RFI

Re: [RFI] CHECK your grounds.

To: "K8RI (Roger)" <K8RI@rogerhalstead.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CHECK your grounds.
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:07:55 -0600
Roger,

Thank you very much for sharing your very scary experience with the list.
It's been my observation over many years that all too many hams either do
not practice good grounding or even if they do know what to do and how to
do it, their particular system may not be as it should be.  I say the
latter because your situation appeared to be one in which parts of the
ground (or, more correctly, "grounding system") had developed high
resistance current paths.  These can happen over time, or even with new
systems, if soil conductivity is poor.

I just want to add 3 comments to what you and Jim Brown, K9YC, have said in
this thread:

1. Totally correct about NO current should flow through the GREEN safety
wire of connected devices.  Thankfully, that is now true for everything I
can think of, but up until 10 or 15 years ago, certain appliances were
allowed to operate with current on the green wire.  The devices that come
most to mind are electric clothes dryers.  For decades , those dryers used
240 VAC power for the heating elements and maybe the motors, but the timers
often ran on 120 VAC.  The dryers had only a 3 wire power cord: 2 hots and
1 ground, NO neutral (as defined in the US National Electrical Code).  So,
the timer motor (and sometimes the motor that turned the dryer drum) were
connected between 1 hot and chassis ground.  Be very careful if you have an
electric dryer with only a 3 wire cord in your home.

2. Because of the very likely possibility of severe shock, as well as for
lightning protection, any grounding system should be checked to verify that
it is a low resistance system (for safety) between the equipment and your
power entrance ground.  (After all, if the power line is the source of
current, then fault current MUST be able to return flow to the source.)
However, all power must be disconnected/turned off prior to attempting to
check safety ground resistance.  Use of a standard V-O-M is not acceptable
for checking such grounding systems - special test instruments are made for
that purpose and they impose some real current in order to make certain
that the grounding conductors and their connections can handle current.

3.  A grounding system for radios should also be designed to be low
impedance if it is going to be useful for lightning protection.  See
MIL-STD-419A (available on-line) for the design of facility grounding
schemes, as well as a wealth of tech info on grounding issues.  Pay
attention to the use of perimeter ground systems (the practice of using a
ring ground around a tower base or around a building foundation).  I use
both concepts in my installation and am glad I have done so - 2 direct hits
so far, no lost equipment inside the house.  (Lots blown on the tower,
though!)  My arm was connected to the mic cord of a radio during the first
hit, and I'm still here because the ground system did its thing.

Roger, in my many years in the EMC biz, I have spoken with many commercial
and industrial customers whose grounding systems became suspect over time.
That often left these folks with equipment that had AC line power applied
without the benefit of adequate safety grounds.  Thanks again for bringing
this important topic forward.

73, Dale
WA9ENA
Sr EMC Engineer