RFI

Re: [RFI] U-Verse problem update

To: "Peter Laws" <plaws@plaws.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] U-Verse problem update
From: "Jeff AC0C" <jeff@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:37:53 -0600
In my case, the fiber only comes to the junction on the street.  It's copper
all the way from there.  Anything over about 25W in my
case was enough to cause the connection to fail.  And we had about half the
annual output of Fairrite's goodies put on every
connection point, run and wire they could find.

Here's the funny part - it was decided by ATT that this was not really a
classic signal overload case here - it was a side effect of
the way the firmware implementation was done.

Apparently the uverse box in the house - when it starts up - scans the band and
excludes communication where it does not have a good
SNR with the mother ship.  That's why things like local BC stations don't
affect the box - even though it's baseband signal runs
right through the BC band.  Good so far...

However, the modem only does this at excluding action at initialization.  If it
encounters an interference after startup (like my CW
or RTTY transmission), the box cycles in a reboot operation in an attempt to
clear the problem.  But rather than understanding that
some signals are intermittent - and just excluding and trying the band at some
time later - it continues to cycle in this restart
loop until my signal goes away!

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com