RFI

Re: [RFI] Which filter to use?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Which filter to use?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:41:27 -0700
On 4/4/2011 10:46 AM, doc@kd4e.com wrote:
> This is a commercial Harris amp, built for CH2, which is being
> converted to HF using transformers and splitter-combiners from
> Communications Concepts.

Doc, what you're trying is a serious engineering project, and requires
serious RF engineering background, custom-built filters for each band,
and serious test equipment to tune those filters. I suspect that there
will be other major issues as well.  This is NOT a plug and play
conversion. I don't mean to be insulting, but this sounds like it's way
over your head. I'm an experienced EE, and there are many projects I
would take on before this one. One of my good friends here in CA, a VERY
experienced EE with very good HP test gear, took on a project to build
his own bandpass filters. In bar conversation, he told me it was FAR
more work than he had expected. And I wasn't surprised.

73, Jim K9YC