RFI

Re: [RFI] OT: RE: solar problems

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] OT: RE: solar problems
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:26:43 -0500
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 15:43, K8RI <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:
> On 4/11/2011 5:46 AM, Cortland Richmond wrote:
>> If it's a deliberate phase bobble, that's a clever  way for power co's
>> avoid having to pay people for their solar power.
>
> They need to control phase, but there is no need for them to shut the
> inverter down in the line power is shut off.   The inverter system
> should have a transfer switch and immediately drop the  connection to
> the power line.

> This allows the PV system to work off batteries as a back up.  This type
> of regulation completely defeats the back up ability of a PV system
> which is why I'd install one in the first place.  That I can get money

You're not up-to-date on the latest in the solar industry.  Most
grid-tied systems these days have no batteries (because they reduce
system efficiency).  The system generates power while the sun is up,
offsetting part, all, or more, of your consumption.  At times when the
inverter doesn't cover 100% of your load, you pull from the grid.  If
you're lucky, you have net metering so you get credit for any excess
you put into the grid.

Regardless, whether there are batteries or not, UL requires that
grid-tied distributed generation systems (solar, wind, hydro,
whatever) disconnect from the grid within a cycle or three (forget the
actual spec).  This is to protect utility workers and the integrity of
the grid.