RFI

[RFI] BCB Intermodulation and HV transmission lines

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] BCB Intermodulation and HV transmission lines
From: Ed Richardson <ed_richardson@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:03:22 -0500
I have been plagued by AM intermodulation products between 2 and 4 MHz. for
several years. I have verified they are not generated in my receivers.
Installed high pass and bandpass filters and this does not affect the level. I
have knocked the -10 dBm AM signals levels down to -90 dBm at the RX antenna
port.

With a handheld spectrum analyzer I have searched the neighborhood for the
source and the only potential source I have come up with is a High Voltage
transmission line that runs about 500m north of my tower. When directly under
one of the 3 parallel lines, I can detect the intermod products. If I connect
the telescopic antenna to transmission tower, the intermod product rises to a
-40 dBm. The lines are probably 30m overhead.

We are about 5-8 km from the AM transmission sites of at least 5 broadcasters.

The intermod is primarily 3rd order, 2F1+/- F2.

Has anyone else seen this before and if so, were you able to get it resolved?

Ed, VE4EAR