RFI

Re: [RFI] Grow Light Electronic Ballasts

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Grow Light Electronic Ballasts
From: Eric - VE3GSI <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:02:13 -0500
Larry,
I ran in to the same problem a number of years ago with grow lights for my
own use. The dealer at the time told me they would not cause any radio
interference. The lights not only 'wrote-off' most of the HF band,
especially 80 meters, they were also causing small fleck's of picture noise
on a TV connected to a satellite receiver. The noise was a loud constant
'hash' on the HF bands. I even took time to ground the metal reflector,
which helped, but by no means was a total cure.

Sorry I can not remember the brand, they did had an electronic ballast and
were designed to push the fluorescent grow tubes to the limit to get maximum
brightness. Since I had already told the dealer if they cause an issue with
my radios he would get them back, so he had no problem with me returning
them

If indeed they are fluorescent tubes, I can suggest replacing the ballast
with an old fashion high power transformer-type ballast, not the low-power
(23W?) tree hugger brands found in most retail stores.

Good luck,
Eric - VE3GSI